Chasing the point

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

Lax26

Chasing the point

Post by Lax26 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:39 pm

When your “in the zone” do you change your dice sets to hit the point or do you keep punching out the numbers that you are
running your presses on? Here’s my example of feeling in the zone… Last night on ship shooting stick right 1, arm really relaxed, fingers dry, grip pressure very even, and my breathing was very slow and controlled. It’s a short toss and my thumb is naturally releasing at the right height on my swing with my eyes never leaving my target spot. Dice are grouped tight in the air with a nice slow even rotation landing on my spot with a short hop and light kiss to the wall. My BT inside set is a 3-2 top with 1’s facing in. Lots of 5’s and 9’s with my close misses moving to 6’s and 8’s. Five was the first point, followed by a 9. Hit both of those then tossed a six on the come out and snatched that up within four rolls. Point moved to 4 and I decided to switch to a 2V to chase the point and got it. This is where my question comes in…. I’d like to know what the more experienced players do in this situation, there has to be times when you feel as if you can toss any number you need……Or was I just lucky and should I just stay with the set that’s working and be better off in the long run?

Big O

Re: Chasing the point

Post by Big O » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:34 pm

I change my set to hit certain numbers for the ATS more than i do to hit my point. If things are going good and i am tossing repeating numbers i dont really care if i never hit my point. One of my bet weaknesses has always been not putting enough odds on my points so i generally make more off pressed up box numbers than odds on points. Sometimes i feel like hitting a point and having to start another come out circle can actually affects me negatively. Give me a 40 toss hand over a short multi point hand any day.
Last edited by Big O on Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"if it was easy anyone could do it"

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:29 pm

I rarely switch sets because I frequently hit the full ATS with my iteration of the V-3. I have a V-2 iteration that I can interchange flawlessly with it thanks to the Coaster Chart and do so if the dice happen to be sent to me that way without a second thought. Both sets tend to kick off even numbers so no change in betting strategies for a single roll now and then.
But there are days when that set doesn't work for me. When it doesn't I'll switch to the X-6 set and it tends to pick up the slack. If that doesn't work it typically means my lazy ring finger is doing it's thing again and I'm double pitching the right die. When that happens I have a mutant set - the 31 23 - which takes the double pitch out of the picture and gives me single pitch sixes and eights when the right die pitches backwards one face (which it usually does) and ace-deuce or Yo OR 3/4 sevens if it single pitches forward on that die. It all comes down to knowing your dice sets for your specific grip and toss and what works when they don't work. For most of us, BoneTracker plus the Coaster Chart is going to be a huge key.
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

220Inside

Post by 220Inside » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:26 am

I'm similar to O in my chasing approach. I don't generally change sets to chase a point and stick to my primary inside set to try and continue to hit box numbers. I will change sets to try to snipe last numbers on the ATS.

When playing crapless, I'll generally start out with my standard inside set and bets using early hits on those to feed the extreme outside numbers. Once those are placed, I'll switch to a horn rich set and stick with that for the rest of the hand.

rhythm roller

Post by rhythm roller » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:58 pm

Different approaches depending on what you are really trying to accomplish I think.

For me, I almost look at Come Out rolls as "dead rolls" since bets are not working on the Come Out (of course some might choose to have Place Bets working). I want to roll one number multiple times on a press and collect sequence. I think this is where I personally make the most money.

If I am betting the ATS then I may look at Come Out rolls after the point differently. The more Come Outs the more chances to work on tossing Horn Numbers to get the bonus bet. If my point set is working I will only change it on a Come Out to roll a horn. Then right back to my other set without changing anything. That is just me of course.
"The difference between try and triumph is a little umph."