The Pit Critter Knows . . .

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

heavy
Site Admin

The Pit Critter Knows . . .

Post by heavy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:37 am

A certain pit critter I know used to say that he could tell whether a player was going to be a winner or a loser by the time he'd made his first two bets. What do you suppose he saw? Was he looking at the bets themselves - or were the bets simply a measure of time - how long it took him to determine if the player was a winner or a loser? What do you think? I'll chime in with the answer after a few of you join in the conversation.
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

wudged

Re: The Pit Critter Knows . . .

Post by wudged » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:52 am

I'd say it's definitely a measure of time. If somebody walks up and immediately throws bets out before even seeing anything about the game, I'd assume that person would end up losing. If somebody walks up and patiently waits to see what kind of action is going on - who has the dice, is there a point already set, what's the table min/max, etc. - then that person might end up winning.

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:01 am

This parallels something I wrote a long time back, wherein I basically said something along the lines of "After watching a player shoot and bet for five-minutes; I can closely estimate how much he'll likely win or lose over several sessions."

MP

eastcoast

Post by eastcoast » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:58 am

I wonder if it is the way they conduct themselves, as in how they approach the game (voice,manners) or is it in the actual bets they make? will make for a interesting answer, I am sure a pit boss has pretty much seen it all, so I am sure his answer must be based in fact, or at least the way he/she sees it.

Maddog

Post by Maddog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:16 pm

I agree with eastcoast. I think it must be all about ATTITUDE. Does the player come to the table with a chip on his/her shoulder, looking for the most slightest of perceived offenses or mistakes just so they can go on a rant. Does their buy-in match their bets. Do they have a hang-dog look, a slump of the shoulders, a muttered curse for every roll that does not hit their bet(s). Annoyed at other players because the choose to bet differently then they do.

Or are they up-beat, friendly to the staff, encouraging to the shooter, happy when they win and not crushed on a loss. Do they carry themselves with confidence and approach the game with knowledge. These would be some of the things I'd be looking for to see if the player was a winner or loser.

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Yeah, you guys are on the right track. The pit critter in question never spoke about the specific bets the player made. Instead, it was all about the player's demeanor and attitude. Did he look and act like a winner - or did he look and act like a loser? From his perspective - people who impressed him as winners generally won - and those who impressed him as losers generally lost.

John Gollehon - the 180 page Las Vegas How-To Book expert - penned a volume on this subject called The Confident Gambler back in 2000. Available "used" on Amazon for under a buck. Interesting read.
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

wild child

Post by wild child » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:35 pm

To quote the COACH Bear Bryant in addressing his team :

"When you get in the endzone, act like you've been there before."

*This adage obviously has its roots on the football gridiron, but since very few of us are going to be scoring touchdowns anytime soon, let’s focus on the deeper meaning. “Act like you’ve been there before” is a reminder that personal success should be expected – not come a surprise to you or to anyone else. Why is it expected? Because you’ve worked your tail off to get there! It’s also a call for humility,

* (rules may be proven by exceptions,to the rule)

His instruction to the Alabama Football Team may also apply to most CRAPS PLAYERS , with the possible exception to the rule in the case of "DICE VIRGINS".....................
:roll:

Just me saying

W C

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:49 pm

The look, attitude, and demeanor of a player certainly says a lot, especially in the way that Maddog and EastCoast framed it; but the 'typical' bets a player makes also says a LOT about his overall prospects of winning or losing, especially if you are interested in judging how he'll do over a reasonable number of sessions as opposed to just a one-off guess as to how well he'll do on this session.

For me, the bet-to-buy-in ratio is often an indicator of likely success or failure, as is the reticence or aggressiveness of his initial bet-sizings and winning-hit press-schedules. When you tie that in with how many bets he spreads at any one time, as well as the type of bets that wager-breadth encompasses(Place, Come, Odds, Hops, Props, etc.); you get a really good feel for how long his money will last, even if he gets lucky.

One of the best ways to while away the time when you are waiting for the dice to cycle back around to you, is to study how other players bet...how they size their bets in relation to their buy-in...how they spread their action...how they resize their wagers when they win as well as when they lose...and of course how they react to each bet-decision (for better or for worse).

Combine all of that with the stuff that MD, EC, and H outlined; and you have a surprisingly prescient success-appraisal formula that takes only minutes to accurately calculate. ;)

What? You thought I was only thinking about booze, broads, and business while I'm waiting for the dice?! :lol:

MP