Game Speed

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

Rickhem

Game Speed

Post by Rickhem » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:38 pm

Not sure how to title this, or even if it is in the right sub forum, please move it if necessary.

So I'm occasionally running into problems when the speed of the process on the table where I'm playing starts to outpace my ability to keep up. I'm definitely not slow, and I also don't like those guys that wait for someone to get the dice, then start tossing chips and calling in bets, so I'll never do that. It's rarely a problem, but when it happens, it's frustrating. Sometimes I find that the dealers go through the process of addressing everyone's payouts and bets but I don't get mine up. A lot of it may be when a new dealer is past that time when the other dealers and the box are watching them, but still not quite up to the speed of the good dealers yet. This is especially troublesome when I'm playing the Blender strategy, and after the last DC moves, I need to place bet on both the point and that last DC to balance out my bets. I've also had times when its a busy table, and I wanted to cover another number or two with place bets on a hot shooter, but the stick has already slid the dice to the shooter and called DICE OUT. I get that when things are clicking nobody wants to slow down a hot shooter, but how do you make sure your dealer has your bets booked? Some shooters pick up the dice and throw really fast, which makes it worse. Do you just call your bets and leave the chips in the COME? Do you say "wait a minute" and hope they do? Does anyone have a tactic for dealing with this?

memo

Re: Game Speed

Post by memo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Easy scenario to be caught up in....Even with an experienced dealer, you can be missed in the chaos.

Best to put your bet in the come area. They are supposed to ask what it is for...but, we know a busy dealer could miss it. Doesn't happen often but the risk is your bets may be booked as a come bet...

I will set my chips out in a way that they cannot be mistaken as a come bet. ie. If I want to place 5 and 9 for ten each. I will set down two sets of red chips side by side, or set down two red chips, and also two red chips leaning against the original two. No way to confuse that for a come bet....I keep my eye on the dealer. Usually he will ask what it is for. It allows him to post your bet in the proper order....Or if he missed you, it obviously calls for his attention.

When there is a frenzy like that...People calling bets out of order, while dealer is paying out. Chips for hard ways, Hi Low, rolling all over the table....Where is my hard way 4?
In all that commotion, put your bets down in the come area, and don't take your eyes off the dealer until he acknowledges them and asks what you want....You can look like a really Kool Cat, that knows what he is doing.

Memo

Knick111

Post by Knick111 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Where is the like button for [ memo ].

jaime.

220Inside

Post by 220Inside » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Well said memo. I'll generally have my moves all ready to go for the dealer when it comes to my turn while he's paying out and I'll place chips down in the come box, if additional ones are needed in addition to the payout, and mention to him what I want. If it's anything not entirely straightforward, I'll just tell him to come back to it after he's done if he likes. Here is helps to have all of your press moves memorized so that you know exactly what you want to do.

If I do place chips down in the come box, I'll also usually leave one hand in the table in front of me and lean over a bit, which is my sign to the stick and dealer that my bets are not all resolved yet.

Tgold

Post by Tgold » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:45 am

Hi Rickhem, thx for post.
Similar to Memo thoughts above. Just watch /wait for the dealer to progress around to your wager(as you know the dealer always pays in the same order), and if you are receiving a winning payout state any changes to the dealer as they start tending to your wager. If a new wager and the dealer is tending to others I simply place my addendum wager so it is straddling a line in front of me. IF the dealer, stick, or box doesn't say anything and they appear to have missed it only then do I state the first name directly toward stick(or dealer), and give instructions. Ive found most dealers are savvy enough to know what you want based on your increment/past wagering history in that session, and they typically will confirm. If Im wagering a very large or atypical amounts(e.g., Lay on 6 or 8), I make sure to always state my addendum wager or press-to amount(especially if dealer seems inexperienced).

All the best,
Tgold
All the best,
Tgold

Rickhem

Post by Rickhem » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:45 am

Thanks for the replies.
These situations aren't happening frequently, and they seem to occur when a combination of other factors contribute the situation. Like having a guy stand there and wait until the shooter has the dice, then that guy starts flipping chips in last second and calling out bets. You can see the frustration on the face of the dealers and the stick, and I'm sure they're waiting for the box to call "no bet", but that doesn't always happen. At that point everyone's focus isn't on the same thing, and mistakes get made and some bets get shortcutted over. To me, it seems that is when the stick tries to get the dice to the shooter extra fast to cut off the chip-flipper. Even when that happens at the other end of the table, it still distracts all the people at the table.
I like the idea of leaning in a bit, or calling the dealer by name and restating my bets. I always make sure I know the names of the dealers, and check the name tag for the ones I don't know just for conversational purposes when things are slower, but that is a good way to get the job done.

House of Orange

Post by House of Orange » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:47 pm

Call loudly the following, curtesy of Heavy, “Get your late bets in early!” Never fails to elicit laughter and approval. If I have the dice, I stop, stare down the uncircumcised Philistine, and ask if he’s all done.

220Inside

Post by 220Inside » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:34 pm

Tgold wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:45 am IF the dealer, stick, or box doesn't say anything and they appear to have missed it only then do I state the first name directly toward stick(or dealer), and give instructions. Ive found most dealers are savvy enough to know what you want based on your increment/past wagering history in that session, and they typically will confirm. If Im wagering a very large or atypical amounts(e.g., Lay on 6 or 8), I make sure to always state my addendum wager or press-to amount(especially if dealer seems inexperienced).
Couple of important points added by Tgold here.

- Get on a first name basis with your dealer. I make a point of trying to note the dealer's name on his tag (although at my age, that's seemingly becoming more and more difficult :) ). I'll try and say hello to them, or welcome them back, when they swap in or when I first step up to the table.I think it helps to establish more of a personal rapport with them more than you being just another guy at the table.

- Dealers learning your bets. One of the advantages of coming to the tables with a thought out and memorized betting strategy, besides your press moves not becoming a distraction to you, is that good dealers will pick up on it too. WIth all the crazy shit going on at the tables I believe they appreciate having to deal with people that are predictable and don't interrupt their flow. Keeping a good rapport with the dealer and tipping along the way will even cause dealers who have learned your tendencies to watch your bets more closely and ask/remind you if you seem to have forgotten to make a move that would otherwise have been expected.

House of Orange

Post by House of Orange » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:55 pm

Don’t forget the alternative. Pick up the dice and throw them over the table. That buys a little time.

memo

Post by memo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:57 pm

22Inside wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:12 pm If I do place chips down in the come box, I'll also usually leave one hand in the table in front of me and lean over a bit, which is my sign to the stick and dealer that my bets are not all resolved yet.
Way cool, 22I,

If after all that, if they still start to push the dice out...(In no way can they call it a late bet, laying in the come area)...
Just say...Hold it....
(point to your bet laying there)...
That is not a come bet.....
(That should stop the dice)....
Make my bet look like...yada, yada
They will pay more attention next time.

Contrast that to having the chips in your hand, and trying to do the same thing....Late bet.

Memo

Moe Bettor

Post by Moe Bettor » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:49 pm

Totally agree to get on a name basis early on with the dealers and get that PL cap bet on or the dollar to the right of your PL bet. This gets
their attention and you will never be forgotten in the mix.

rhythm roller

Post by rhythm roller » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:53 pm

Great topic and answers. In my first dice class I was taught to place my chips in front of me half in the come box and half on the field bet straddling the line between. I still use that today. If the dealer doesn't hear my bet call they always ask what I want.
"The difference between try and triumph is a little umph."

DarthNater

Post by DarthNater » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:37 am

I have this problem a lot as the dealers always transfer the DC bets last; especially if the bet is to travel to the six or eight - they have gotten used to the many don't players that decline to let the 6 or 8 travel. So I hold my lay chips in my hand, half open over the Come area; that way the dealer always knows the lay is coming. I let them plop down and then say "for the lay on the _____". I'm deliberate with my hand/arm so people see it. That allows everyone time - as the dealer wants to get the lay on the right number, and the stick doesn't want to pass the dice until hands are up.

D.N8r
Your lack of faith in The Force disturbs me, Commander.......