How to Tell the Dealer What You Want

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

heavy
Site Admin

How to Tell the Dealer What You Want

Post by heavy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Over the course of our weekend get together in Tunica it became abundantly clear to me that some of the attendees were not as familiar as they should be with the various bets and how to communicate their press or regress moves to the dealer. For example: Why say $10 five, $12 six, $12 eight, $10 nine when you can say it all with "$44 Inside?" So that's a phrase you need to know. I'll list some more of them later on.

You also need to know how to communicate your press moves to the dealer. If you want to increase your $10 Place bet on the five by one unit you can say "Up a unit," or "Five goes to $15." If you want to increase your bet to $20 you can say "Press it." If you want to power press it to $25 drop a dollar and say "Make it look like a quarter." The dealer will know exactly what you want.

If you have an $18 eight and tell the dealer to "press it all the way" you're going to end up with your $21 win stacked on top of your $18 base bet, resulting in an incorrect sized bet of $39. The odd $3 on this bet will end up getting paid even money, so you're giving up EV playing this way.

If you tell the dealer to "parlay it" when your place bet hits he will assume you mean you want to press it all the way and you'll end up in the same position. In fact, the term "parlay it" should only be used in relation to prop bets and even money bets. You can parlay a Field bet, a Pass or Don't Pass bet, or a hardway. I wouldn't parlay a place bet.

Let me take you through some of the common bets and presses. Let's start with:

$22 Inside. That's $5 on the five and nine and $6 on the six and eight. When any number hits it pays $7. Your options are to "take me down," "same bet," or "up a unit." You could also come down on the five and nine and leave just the six and eight working. Or you could utilize my squeeze box play. Example, if the five rolled and pays $7, tell the dealer to bring down the five and make the six look like $18. Another move from $22 inside is to drop $5 on any payoff and press the six and eight to $12 each. Just say "Make my six and eight look like $12 each." There are a bazillion other options, but this should give you the right idea.

Let's say that you are playing the Pass Line and the six is established as the point. You want to bet the rest of the inside numbers. You ask for "$16 inside," $32 inside," $48 inside," etc. Or, if you're like me, you might toss in "$22 inside - high on the eight." That will get you $12 on the eight and $5 each on the five and nine. Let's say you have $48 inside plus the point and the eight rolls. The dealer will cut out $21 to pay you. You can push $16 of it back to him and say "make it look like $64 inside." You can lock up $21 and regress to $16 inside by saying "make it look like $16 in." You can drop $3 on top of the payout and "Press the eight to $42." I like that last one because next time the eight rolls I get to drop $1 and say "Fifty for one."

What if you want to bet the four, five, nine, and ten? Those are the outside numbers. Okay, the five and nine can be inside numbers or outside numbers - depending on how you bet them ($22 inside or $20 outside). One of my favorite bets is $100 out. That's $25 each on the four, five, nine, and ten. A hit on the five or nine pays $35. A hit on the four or ten payps $50 for $1 (vig). That two for one payoff on the four and ten opens a world of opportunity - especially if you like to press in pairs. Let's say you have $25 on the four and ten and the four rolls. The dealer will tell you to drop a dollar and he'll cut out two green chips. You can "make the four and ten look like $50 each," or "same bet" it and have both bets paid for. If you prefer you could press only the number that hits. "Four goes to $50" and you lock up $25. Or you could "press it all the way" and go to $75 on the four. Ballsy play.

This particular sub-board is loaded with press-moves and betting strategies. I encourage all of you to read them and familiarize yourself with the language of the game. Meanwhile, if you have a favorite press play or a way to communicate your moves to the dealer in "shorthand" let's hear it. The newbies can use your help.
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

pappyvanwinkle

Re: How to Tell the Dealer What You Want

Post by pappyvanwinkle » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:35 pm

This is where dealer tokes can help you. Toking for the dealer is not a license for you to toss them however you want or start missing the back wall. The dealers appreciate it when you make a bet for them etc. So, they'll try to help you where they can. Here is an area where they can definitely help you. If your in doubt about what to increase your bet to. For example, I didn't know this at the time, but on the 5/9 in Tunica, it's a free buy after $20? I had my standard press move, but the dealer mentioned why don't you make it $x, it will pay you better. After awhile, they'll understand what kinda bettor you are, conservative, aggressive etc and give you some good suggestions. Keep in mind, this is your money still though, your making the decision!
Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time

acpa

Post by acpa » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 pm

I told Heavy to emphasis the way they buy the numbers in Tunica. He either forgot or you weren't paying attention.

Glad dealers took care of you.

Noah

Heavy in your discussion on the bets on the five,you should never havea $25 five in Tunica.

Noah

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:19 pm

I'd say it has been covered ad nauseum.

A $20 buy bet pays $30 minus the $1 vig - or $29. A $20 place bet pays $28.

Go back to sleep, Noah.
- Heavy

acpa

Post by acpa » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:43 pm

Before I go back to sleep, do you play $25 odd on a come 5?

Noah

memo

Post by memo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:55 pm

OK,
So if they say it is a free buy, (20 on the 5)
They do not mean that there is no vig
Only that the vig is taken after a win.

The free buy means the up front vig..? (nuance)

Memo

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:35 am

do you play $25 odd on a come 5$
Why would I do that? Even odds on odd numbers. Of course, I don't have to hand the dealer a dollar when he pays me my free odds win. But seriously, ACPA. You've banged this drum enough. I think most of us have figured it out by now. Those who have not - will not.

At the end of the day Tunica is very small part of the gaming world - one that most players will never visit. Hopefully they will get it right when they do.
- Heavy

wild child

Post by wild child » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:23 am

Has anyone considered FLASH CARDS.....works for grade school math.

Just me saying

W C

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:40 am

Speaking of flash cards - I have had several deaf students through the years and often they have problems letting the dealer know what they want. In every case I have recommended flash cards. You'd only need about a half dozen.

1. Up a unit
2. Press it
3. Same Bet
4. Off
5. Working
6. Take my bets down

Those same six phrases will work for the hearing as well - just memorize them, plan your play and play your plan.
- Heavy

realtime

Post by realtime » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Ah Heavy,

You left out the most important one.....

Flash card #7......Color up my f'ing profit and I'm gone!!!

arrgy

Post by arrgy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Downtown... 4,5,6,8,9
Uptown... 10,9,8,6,5

Square Pairs.. Hard 8
2 way... one for you, one for dealer
3 way... one for you, one for dealer, one for shooter

$10 on the backline... $10 DP
Buffalo... one on each hardway, one on Big Red
$10 Put.... Putting $10 on the point after it is established

Eyeballs...2
Midnight...12

Two really weird ones:
Take the sister... Betting the opposite number that just hit. 4/10, 5/9, or 6/8
Jeffery Dalmer..C&E...catch em and eat em

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:34 pm

Interesting ones. I've always considered "downtown" to be all of the box numbers below the seven and "uptown' to be all of the box numbers above the seven. So downtown would be 4-5-6 and uptown would be 8-9-10.

Now, here's a hop bet for you. Two-way two-way nines on the jump. You're hopping the nines for both you and the dealer - and you're hopping them 5-4 and 6-3.

How about an O.J.? Both die down outside.
- Heavy

arrgy

Post by arrgy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:45 pm

Uptown and Downtown could mean 4-5-6 or 8-9-10, it really all depends on how much money you give the dealer and what the point is.

Knick111

Post by Knick111 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:53 pm

greetings members.

do you see what happens- if you feed them after midnight. JAIME.

amish dude

Post by amish dude » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 pm

Heavy wrote:
Or you could "press it all the way" and go to $75 on the four. Ballsy play.
This particular sub-board is loaded with press-moves and betting strategies. I encourage all of you to read them and familiarize yourself with the language of the game. Meanwhile, if you have a favorite press play or a way to communicate your moves to the dealer in "shorthand" let's hear it. The newbies can use your help.
You are so right Heavy about newbies I "was ONE" and now I no better when I play! $44 inside not wotco toss a 4 using the 2 V set switch to the 3 V and watch the money come in I turn my place bets OFF after 9 rolls because I noticed that is where i usually 7 out
The opinions stated here are the sole opinions and rights of the Author