Surf and Turf anyone?

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

DONaTello

Surf and Turf anyone?

Post by DONaTello » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:09 pm

Old school Craps players will recognize the term “Steak and Eggs” as Placing the 6 and 8. This strategy is a little different so I am going to give it a new name. I like “Surf and Turf” and since it involves a Strategy more involved than simply placing the 6 and 8 I am going to give it that name.

First some background.

There seems to be a lot of emphasis placed on a DI’s SRR, Seven to Rolls Ratio and for a long time I have gone along with this concept. It makes sense as one is looking to avoid a 7 once the point is established and perhaps make a 7 on the Comeout.

The flaw I see is in the way a SSR I measured is that if you roll a lot of junk, 2, 3, 11 and 12 and few Box Numbers but have a low incidence of 7’s your SRR looks good but you are still rolling a lot of junk. If I could bet on two shooters that had a 25 roll hand and one made mostly 6’s and 8’s while the other rolled a normal distribution of non 7’s, which would I prefer? Easy question. Same SSR, way different results.

I ascribe to the idea that I continue to learn things and therefore I must regularly reassess my strategies to determine if I can gain more advantage as the result of my new understandings and abilities. I never change my mind. Of course I do reserve the right to make a new decision based on new information. :) Wisdom is only wisdom if it holds up to additional scrutiny.

So maybe determining a SSR is not as useful as has been thought to be and a SSTR, Seven to Surf and Turf Ratio or the ratio of 6’s and 8’s to 7’s might have some value especially if coupled with a playing strategy that emphasizes 6’s and 8’s. SBR, 7’s to Box Number ratio might be useful too but that a topic for another day.

I had been using a “Shoot for 7” Comeout strategy, setting the dice in a 7, no 4 no 10 arrangement and doing pretty well, more often than not getting at least one 7 and sometimes getting two or more 7’s on the Comeout before establishing a Point.

What has happened to prompt a change?

Lately, to which some who were at the recent Craps Fest can attest, when I get dialed in I punch out a lot of 6’s and 8’s, especially 8’s. This probably has something to do with the fact that regardless of the Point I set for 6 and 8 and that my DI is improving. I set for 6 and 8 because they are the numbers with the lowest vig when Placed, 1.52%. Plus 6 & 8 combined vs 7 is 10:6.

Another consideration is that I would like to leave less money on the table when the 7 does show and yet have sufficient opportunity to make money. The old double edged sword, you don’t get paid on bets you don’t have down and when the 7 comes, it clears the table of all Do type bets. So how to optimize the bets I have down so that I win the most and lose the least for the rolls I make?

With the “Shoot for 7” Comeout strategy I seem to have fewer 4’s and 10’s as the Point but would have some 5’s and 9’s when I would rather have 6 or 8 than anything else so lately I have be experimenting with using the same set on the Comeout as I use during the Point Cycle.

And now to the "Surf and Turf" Strategy

During the Comeout, place the 6 and 8, working and make a Pass Line bet similar to one of the Place bets. For example a $6 Place bet on the 6 and 8 and $5 on the Pass Line or $12 on the 6 and 8 and $10 on the Pass Line. In order to focus on the basics I will post the progression strategy later.

If you get a 6 or 8, take that Place bet down, lay Odds equal to the Pass Line bet and go to work. You now still have only three bets on the table, the original Pass Line bet, Odds on the Point and a Place bet on the pair number and you put one unit plus a little in the rack.

Advantages:

• You have two Box numbers that win on the Comeout.
• You have established the best number (easiest to hit and smallest vig on your Pass Line bet) as your Point.
• You lay Odds that pay even money instead of a Place bet that has a 1.52% vig.
• You have probably established your 'Signature' number as the Point.
• You reduce your exposure on the table as you have only three bets on the table, Pass Line, Odds and one number Placed. You can be out on the Point on $16 and have the two best Box Numbers working.
• The $16 included $7 in winnings so really your exposure is only $9 on a $5 table, $18 on a $10 table.
• On a $25 table your net exposure for the Point cycle is $48.
• The probability of winning the Pass Line bet during the Point cycle increases substantially, 5:6 vs 2:3 or 1:2.
• It is scalable. As you hit the number and make points you can increase your bets in unit increments.
• The House advantage on the Pass Line bet (may) come(s) down as the adverse probability of making the 4, 5, 9 or 10 when they are the Point is reduced since they will be the Point less often. I need to crunch the probabilities to find out.

Disadvantages:

• On the Comeout you lose about half of your money wagered if you roll a 7. (Don’t roll a 7 on the Comeout. LOL).
• You have to educate the dealer as it is not a usual bet to have Box Numbers working on the Comeout. Most of the dealers I have encountered do well with it pretty quickly and will accept of even offer to establish a verbal contract. It makes life easier for them.
• There are more moving parts. If you hit a 6 or 8 on the Comeout you get paid (which is a good thing) on that bet and would want to take it down as you can lay Odds that have no vig and are much easier to adjust up or down. If it is your second or subsequent point you would want to up the bet on the alternate number, 6 or 8.
• Maybe the 1.41% House advantage on the Pass Line bet goes up as you are avoiding the Natural on the Comeout. I need to crunch the probabilities to find out.

Neutral:

• Craps has the same effect.
• 11 on the Comeout is still a winner.

So far this has been working for me. I will continue the Field Experiment and work on the probabilities calculations.

I welcome your reasoned thoughts to help me develop this strategy for everyone's use. If you take issue with something please state specifically what you disagree with and why and give your recommendations for improvement so that I can refine and improve the Surf and Turf or determine it's flaws.

Thanks!
Last edited by DONaTello on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DONaTello

heavy
Site Admin

Re: Surf and Turf anyone?

Post by heavy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:26 pm

Thinking all the time. Gotta love it. Had too much tequila to put a pencil to it tonight, but at first glance it looks great to me.
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

The Claremont Kid

Post by The Claremont Kid » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:03 pm

DonaTello if you study the information on Bone Tracker I thnk you will fine what you are trying to accomplish.

London Shooter

Post by London Shooter » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:56 pm

I have enjoyed reading this and like the sound of the play. Can you give us more details on what you do if a 4,5,9,10 is established as the point?

DONaTello

Post by DONaTello » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:27 am

I am working from the point of view that I am rolling 5% more 6's and 8's than normal and 5% fewer 7's and other numbers. If that is true the table below shows the normal distribution for all numbers and with the distribution that I am assuming. The tables shows that all other numbers are reduced and the house advantage is already higher than what I like so I put a minimal odds bet on 4, 5, 9 or 10. Just enough to avoid suspicion.

Number Normal prob Adjusted prob
2 2.777777778 2.527777778
3 5.555555556 5.055555556
4 8.333333333 7.584333333
5 11.11111111 10.11211111
6 13.88888889 18.88888889
7 16.66666667 11.66666667
8 13.88888889 18.88888889
9 11.11111111 10.11211111
10 8.333333333 7.584333333
11 5.555555556 5.055555556
12 2.777777778 2.527777778
100% 100.004%

Glad to see you made it home ok. Bummed that we didn't have a better outing Saturday.

I went to Bally's today but it was pretty busy so I went to Paris. I saw a guy that I have seen before that throws the dice very carefully and have seen him do well. He threw a few at a table until someone put some chips in his LZ. He hit them and sevened out. He was pretty unhappy and left for another table that was empty and I followed. He seemed to know the floor supervisor and got the table limit raised to $25 to keep out the riff raff. I had already bought in so he allowed me to stay at the $10 it was when I bought in.

We both took a few hands and didn't get anywhere. He left and I stayed and played a few more using the Surf and Turf and managed to set 6 and 8 several times as the point and made 22% on my buy in.

I was keyed in on the 6 and 8 well enough that I grew the $1 that I put down on each for the dealers got to $6 and then got paid a few times.
DONaTello

DONaTello

Post by DONaTello » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:52 pm

The Claremont Kid wrote:DonaTello if you study the information on Bone Tracker I thnk you will fine what you are trying to accomplish.
I found the "Box Numbers to Sevens Ratios" chart but I did not find a way to extract 6's and 8' to 7's. I suspect that the "Inside" column would include 5 and 9 in addition to 6 and 8.

I would appreciate whatever help you can provide.

Thanks,
DONaTello

Maddog

Post by Maddog » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:50 pm

There is not a specific "6&8 to Sevens" in BoneTracker as of 5.6. However it is an easy addition (see the example screen shot below). Just insert a row (or copy/paste the "Inside" row) and adjust the formulas to reference only the 6 & 8 values.
Add_6n8_Group.png
Add_6n8_Group.png (16.02 KiB) Viewed 8081 times
Or if you have your calculator handy you can use the values in the Detail Breakdown section and divide the Sevens total by the six + eight totals. This way you would not have to modify BT at all (see this screen shot)
BT_DistBreakdown.png
BT_DistBreakdown.png (68.37 KiB) Viewed 8081 times
BTW... this seems to me to be a reasonable strategy. Low vig bets and although a little different then normal, not so different that a dealer will have any trouble with it. If you are consistent with this strategy the dealer might even start just doing it without the lamar, or by just setting the lamer on the table near your bet.

Just keep in mind that the House Advantage is NEVER changed by bets. HA does not go up or down from this (or any other) betting strategy. It is low due to the nature of the bets... and that is a VERY good thing... but the bets themselves, regardless to the order of when they are played do not change the HA one iota. However, if you can demonstrate a dice tossing skill that elevates your "SSERR" (Seven to Six n Eight Roll Ration) then you will alter the HA.

London Shooter

Post by London Shooter » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:51 pm

Donatello, just having a look at this again and you say you are getting 5% more 6s and 8s and 5% less 7s, but then you quote the percentages as the following:

6 13.88888889 18.88888889
7 16.66666667 11.66666667
8 13.88888889 18.88888889

Surely you are not getting 18.88 6s and 8s per 100 throws and only 11.66 7s?
Maybe it's the interpretation of what 5% means here, but I would look at the figures as a 36% increase in both the 6 and 8 and a 30% decrease in the number of 7s, which would be a phenomenal advantage if replicated long term.

Whereas to me getting 5% more 6s per 100 throws, for example, equates to 14.58 per 100.

London Shooter

Post by London Shooter » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:59 am

"I went to Bally's today but it was pretty busy so I went to Paris. I saw a guy that I have seen before that throws the dice very carefully and have seen him do well. He threw a few at a table until someone put some chips in his LZ. He hit them and sevened out. He was pretty unhappy and left for another table that was empty and I followed. He seemed to know the floor supervisor and got the table limit raised to $25 to keep out the riff raff. I had already bought in so he allowed me to stay at the $10 it was when I bought in."

There is one shooter who is excellent who we have seen on both our last two trips now, so he must be a local operator. Likes to play on a table by himself if he can, shoots from SR1 mostly (though I have seen him shoot from SL1 too) has a $5 firebet and bets the 6&8 Usually disappears after he 7s out to find another table. I wonder if it is the same guy?

On one of our last sessions at Bally's this trip we bought in and then noticed he was at SR1. The dice were coming our way, but I nodded to my wife that we should pass. Our man soon had his turn. We kept the landing zone clean, put up our 6&8 bets and he immediately 7'd out and went over to the empty table behind us :)