This strategy worked like a charm... or did it?

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

chuckindice

This strategy worked like a charm... or did it?

Post by chuckindice » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:09 am

This is a bit of a trip report, but it's more about the strategy so I thought I'd put it here.

I worked a YouTube strategy last weekend (when I was shooting), and I colored up big. But as I think back on the session, I wonder if it was the right play. Now I'm not to sure...

The strategy is called "The Hoppa." You can look it up on YouTube if you'd like to.

1. Start with $44 inside.
2. On hit, toss $2 and HOP the Easy Inside's for $2 each.
3. If you get the 2nd hit, collect $32 and down on the Hops, plus another $14 on the Inside = $46 bet paid for.

Same basic concept applies at all intervals going up. At $66, you win $21... toss 3 to HOP the Insides for $3 each.

For me, it gave me the confidence to get out the hand with a smaller upfront risk.

So I played it. And it worked. In fact, I decided to repeat it a few times. Every time I threw and inside number, I'd toss $2 and HOP the Easy Inside's. If it hit, I collected another $46. I repeated it several times before I finally decided to stop and start pressing the Inside bets up. I got the 6/8 to $42 each -- with a couple more hits before the 7-out.

The table was full... I shot just once... and I turned $300 into $960 this. I was feeling great. But I kept kicking around the session in my head. And now I wonder if I could have done better without adding the Hops.

My usual play is to collect the 3 hits. $44 inside ... 3 hits x $14 = $42 collected.

Obviously, your results will vary depending on the numbers you roll that session, but now I'm wondering if I would have made more money if I didn't play the HOPS like that. I missed a few back-to-back hits, where I wasted the hit because I Hopped the next roll and didn't hit an Inside number.

I'm a low-roller, so I'm not a big presser. It's rare that I get my bets past $25 each. But I can't help but think about whether I made the right call to use the HOPS. Hmmmm.......

- Chris

220Inside

Re: This strategy worked like a charm... or did it?

Post by 220Inside » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:24 am

If you're a low roller and not a big presser (i.e. conservative), then it seems out of character to try a strategy that relies so heavily on hop bets.

I wouldn't be a fan of this strategy, but it appears to have worked out for you thus time. I'd be wary of it though. Instead of the hops, maybe try $22 inside pressure instead. That would be more inline with your general approach to the game.

Big O

Post by Big O » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:46 pm

I tend to stay away from hop bets especially as a strategy. Occasionally, if i have a hard way pressed up (rare in itself) and want to be off on a come out i will hop it. Or similar if i have a box nu. pressed up and want to be off for some reason.

I agree with 220 seems out of character for a low roller. It would be for me.
Maybe try 66 to start, first hit drop 2 press them all, second hit collect 28 regress to 44 giving you 72 off the table in 2 hits.
"if it was easy anyone could do it"

AllahPena

Post by AllahPena » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:21 pm

I really really don't like hop bets. Just seems terrible to me. I understand why people do them the same way I understand why people bet 5 team parlays but anything that is a 1 roll bet is generally terrible. The only time I hop anything is the 7s on the come out when I'm working on my extreme outside on crapless and even that's very bad at 11% house edge.

skasower

Post by skasower » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:26 pm

I too do not hop too specifically only kind of hopping. I have my personal bad habit of the World (Whirl) bet that I tend to enjoy a little too much. It is really a hop bet on steroids. For those who would like to grab a bad habit like mine, a World bet is a wager on a horn bet (2, 3, 11, 12) and on any seven (7) all wrapped up in one bet. A World Bet wager must be made in units of five, in which four units of the wager are made on the horn bet and one unit of the wager is made on any seven. Any Seven pays 4 to 1 and horns are paid per unit on each in the World.

I do not know why I love this bet. It is a one roll thrill I guess. By the way, it frequently does not work.
Profe$$or Ka$hFi$h