Hedging and Getting Past the Come Out Roll on the Don't Pass

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

London Shooter

Re: Hedging and Getting Past the Come Out Roll on the Don't Pass

Post by London Shooter » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Keep the DP the same - table min -and consider odds as a kind of halfway house between “winning nothing” on a flat $5 DP and reaching for a clean pair of Calvin Kleins at the thought of losing a $50 DP to the local 7/11 convenience store.

Yes I know people will baulk at that too - what you want me to lay $30/40just to win$15/20on the DP 4??????

But as I said on another thread recently people are risking $44 inside to win 14 on every table every day of the week.

Whichever way you cut it the bottom line is an unhedged DP (or or min DP with odds)at a level comfortable to your buyin is the way to go and will cost you a lot less in the long run.

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:57 pm

But as I said on another thread recently people are risking $44 inside to win 14 on every table every day of the week.
Yep. I use that example ALL the time when talking to players about this. Often the light comes on when they think about it. That entire $44 goes away on the seven. The most you can win on any toss is $14. A $10 DP with $30 odds wins you $25 - $35 when the seven shows. Who has the better bet?

The thing about free odds is that players believe they "weaken" their flat bet. A $10 DP pays even money. A $30 free odds bet pays less, depending on the number established. These guys would rather have a $40 DP bet. However, then the hedging problem appears and ultimately it costs them more than going bare on it.

I put it down to the same mental block players have against playing $50 on the DP. It's the amount of money they could lose if the shooter makes his point. He's playing out of his dark side comfort zone.
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

Dylanfreake

Post by Dylanfreake » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Any wager that the player thinks he needs to hedge , should not be made.