Everybody's "OFF" - what do you do?

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

London Shooter

Everybody's "OFF" - what do you do?

Post by London Shooter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:47 pm

This is a hypothetical situation but I can imagine it happening. Maybe some of us have already experienced it for real:

You are at a live session with the APC crew. You are rolling the dice - perhaps a 2 craps shows, you throw the dice off the table or the perfect storm of stick change/cocktail waitress/payout argument ensues. However you want to put it - the bad moons are rising :)

Heavy turns his bets off at one end of the table, Howard is SL at the other end and he goes off at the same time. The dominoes are tumbling and of course all other students fall into place.

OFF, OFF, OFF, OFF, OFF, OFF

You are the shooter. What do you do?

r_ventura_23

Re: Everybody's "OFF" - what do you do?

Post by r_ventura_23 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:03 pm

I have never turned my bets off while I was shooting. I would make them pay ;).

220Inside

Post by 220Inside » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Hop the point and have a good laugh with the rest of the guys.

memo

Post by memo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:47 pm

I was at the table with Pappy Van Winkle shooting.
It was a great hand at one point while it progressed, he tossed four 4's in a row. I was new to Heavy's progression at the time so I only had my four up to 500 bucks. Pappy was at 800. (of course)
Some one started an argument about a missing 15 dollar bet. Pappy got frustrated as it went on, and did his signature forehead slap and 360 degree turn around in place. Maybe it was 720...
In retrospect, I believe it was a 540 to the right followed by a 180 to the left, back to dead center, and a white knuckle grip on the rail.

What ever....It was Not energy draining event....Quite the opposite, actually.
I went off .. Pappy went off. Next roll....
You guessed. It was a four..

I made good money on that hand, so I shouldn't frett over a measly 1k payoff...
Heck. I doubled my buy in. Why worry. Who cares..Plenty of cash at the cage.
Actually, it drives me crazy to this day. I will never forget it. Never let it go! Ugh!
The box man looked sideways at my 'OFF' lamar, and says..."Gee, that was an unwise decision"
Arg!

Memo

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:32 pm

I'm with 22inside. If everyone at the table turns their bets off odds are I'll hop the point.
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

pappyvanwinkle

Post by pappyvanwinkle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:53 pm

Yeah, pretty much these days, I'm plowing through, I don't really call my bets off. The closest I'll come now is either do same bet or just redistribute the existing action. As memo points out I did toy with calling my bets off if certain events occurred. My findings, it didn't really save me money for the most part, the hand is just as likely to continue so I was costing myself additional payouts.

With that said, I really advocate people do what is in their comfort zone. Something that you might consider doing instead of calling your bets off is to do a regression, this way you limit your exposure and lock up a profit. If the hand continues, you'll still make a smaller additional profit. Generally when a bet I have is paid off, I pretty much press it to the world.

I'd say to not fixate on what others are doing at the table. They may have certain reasons for their actions that may be totally erroneous. As an example, awhile back, there were various systems being sold, there was one I found particular annoying, they were constantly moving bets or calling their bets off. I asked about it, lets see their theory went, if a yo rolled, next roll would be a seven out, and expanding on that, if a hard ten rolled, that's actually an eleven, so next roll is a seven out. It wouldn't matter if I was using the 2V and a hard ten was on the set, these people would call their bets off in unison if a hard ten rolled. Talking from an energy perspective, I'd say they were creating negative energy at the table.

Pappy
Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time

Bankerdude80

Post by Bankerdude80 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:47 pm

I'd keep plowing away. I can power through any EDE (at least that is what I tell myself). What can I say? I am a positive thinker. I rarely call my bets off. I might think about it, but I never get the gumption to verbalize and set the act in motion (sometimes to my dismay). Similar to PVW, I may do a regression. Probably not though, as one of my long term goals is to get my bets to table max from table minimum in one hand. Did I mention I am a dreamer too? Seriously, I think it would depend on the myriad of factors. I do not think I would relent if I was the shooter. I'd power through. I would then throw some shade on everyone at the table for doubting my ability as I hit another box number. 8-)
"Take the Money and Run...."
- Steve Miller Band

DanF

Post by DanF » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:58 pm

Throw the dice very short or out again, and then off all my bets but the point/regress my bets.

rhythm roller

Post by rhythm roller » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Think it would be how I "felt" at the time. If others turning off bets got in my head (and maybe other DI turning off would) I would do it too. Usually for random rollers I don't pay attention as they often bet systems. I leave my bets on.

Another thing, if I am turning off bets while any one else is rolling I do it very quietly. If I am rolling and turn off my bets for some reason, I announce it to the whole table so they can evaluate what they want to do next.
"The difference between try and triumph is a little umph."