Dollar What?

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

heavy
Site Admin

Re: Dollar What?

Post by heavy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:27 am

"Frank and Nancy for $5 each." I love that bet. I'm asking for a five and nine. It's a call I made up. When the dealer asks "What's a Frank and Nancy?" I get indignant and ask how long he's been dealing the damn game. Everybody knows Frank and Nancy are the Five and Nine.
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

London Shooter

Post by London Shooter » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:20 pm

That reminds me - I made up a call whilst drinking a Mexican beer on my latest Vegas trip, so I'll have a dollar on the Dos Equis

Moe Bettor

Post by Moe Bettor » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:44 pm

heard a dealer at Mohican sun call "Any popcorn?" Must be bets all over the hardways, right? You throw in a buck and with luck it
explodes. At Cherokee River there's a woman dealer who simply asks if there are any "sucker bets?" I like her.

Irukanji

Post by Irukanji » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Speaking of calls we make up, mine is "Sex and Ecstasy" referring to the 6 & 8. It's made several female dealers blush. Lol!
Previous results are not indicative of future performance.

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:13 am

I ask for "steak and eggs" quite often.
- Heavy

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:48 pm

Here's a reprint of the newsletter article that inspired this thread:

Sometimes these questions just hit you out of the blue. This one, “what do you do with a $1 chip?” hit me at about 2AM the day before Shootitall and I were to get together for one of our “solve all the world’s problems” BBQ lunches. Since it was fresh on my mind, I posed the question to him and, as usual, he came up with a great out-of-the-box answer, which I’ll tell you about in a minute.

So what do you do with your $1 chips? I see players who’ll accumulate forty or fifty dollars worth of dollar chips from those “$7 Same Bet?” payoffs. Occasionally they may grab a handful of them and play them in the Field, but for the most part they just collect them.

If I’m betting at the $10 - $12 level and am getting paid $14 on every payoff I key my play off whether or not the hardways are streaking. If they are, I’ll lock up $10 out of the payoff and toss the $4 in for “all the hardways.” If one of them gets knocked off I’ll toss the next extra $4 I have out, replace the one that fell and press the rest. It’s not unusual to pile up eight or ten dollars on a number during a hot hand and then get a hit on it.

My favorite dollar moves are what I call “For” bets. A $12 six or eight pays $15 for $1. A $42 six or eight pays $50 for $1. So does a $25 Buy Bet on the four or ten or a $35 Place Bet on the five or nine. There is something inherently satisfying about giving a dealer one white chip and getting two green in return.

Of course, a lot of guys just like to blow through dollars in the prop box. You’ll hear “dollar Yo,” “dollar Midnight,” “dollar any craps,” “dollar aces,” and “dollar ace-deuce.” One strategy Shootitall and I discussed was a “due number” play on the two or twelve. Basically you keep a side count of how many rolls its been since one of those numbers rolled. Then, after eighteen throws with no aces or midnight, you bet either or both of those numbers until it shows – or until you’ve blown through $30 or so. The idea is that the two or twelve are “due” to hit.

Another use for those dollars? Carnival game bets. The Fire Bet, the Sharpshooter Bet, the Bonus Bet (All Tall Small). These are all side bets that carry a huge vig, but offer large payouts if the shooter scores.

I also recommend using those white chips for Dealer tokes. Once every stick change – three times and hour – a buck on one of the hardways for the boys can pay dividends down the line in the form of better customer service. I am a big believer in toking the hard working dealers – simply because of the fact that it brings positive energy to the game.

As for Shootitall’s suggestion on how to get the most bang for your buck for a dollar chip? “Beverage server.” For a $1 toke she’ll gladly bring you a cold bottle of Heinekens. That’s a $3 bottle of beer for $1 – and is the equivalent of trebling the value of his dollar. For SIA that’s a guaranteed win.

Tossing a few bucks around as “entertainment bets” can be fun – especially when they’re winning. But at the end of the day the best use of those extra bucks is to color them up at the end of your session and put the money in your pocket. There may be days when those dollars are the difference between a winning session and a losing one.
- Heavy