Should you expect ALL randies to have short hands and bet accordingly?

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

heavy
Site Admin

Should you expect ALL randies to have short hands and bet accordingly?

Post by heavy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:06 pm

The old saying I use all the time is "the best bet on a random roller is no bet." However, we've all seen random rollers toss 20 - 30 - 40 number hands when the high end of standard deviation kicks in. So how do you bet these folks? Do you start out on the dark side and transition tot he right side? Do you tiptoe in with a line bet and single odds only - or perhaps a place bet on the six and eight? Do you do some sort of goofy doey-don't play? And if you DO take one of these approaches - at what point do you "go for it" and get some money on the table? Let's hear it!
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

mssthis1

Re: Should you expect ALL randies to have short hands and bet accordingly?

Post by mssthis1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:21 pm

2 of my top 10 money rolls have come from random shooters. One time I started with $54.00 across and started pressing after I recouped the initial investment and the other time It was $135.00 across because the table had been trending hot. That one was one of the weirdest deals I had ever seen. That shooter was on the don't and he was tossing into my line bet trying to knock it over on every roll until he ran out of money and I tossed him a $5 chip to keep him shooting. I wasn't even on the end, I was at SL2. lol.

On a limited bank roll I would probably bet a 6 and 8 and start spreading out after the initial investment is recouped. Assuming the table was warm. I've missed a lot of long rolls because I was on the don't side and the table turned in one shooter. Anymore on those, I leave some chips in the rack to hold my spot and go get coffee or a bathroom break or whatever.

Bankerdude80

Post by Bankerdude80 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:51 am

I take my cue from PVW and bet a minimal bet. Any new bets must be paid for by the initial bet. I build up and out from there once the initial bet as been recouped and is back in my rack. I may vary the play here and there, but I try to stick with that plan.
"Take the Money and Run...."
- Steve Miller Band

Moe Bettor

Post by Moe Bettor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:19 pm

This is a great subject. Yes, I will switch from the don't side on two inside numbers flat out. Not after the shooter has made a point necessarily. It is the immediate roll. However I keep in mind his previous made number. If he repeats that..I consider him to be worthy. But I find it difficult to get strong money on the table fast. Like others I will try to get my bets paid early and then go for broke. I think it comes down to your capacity for loss. If I buy in for $500 and my throw looks like crap with a V3..I'm hitting 11, 3, 4, 5 right away..I'll have a PL of $10, no odds on the 4, $18 6 and 8 (to be regressed on one hit). Plus I'll be looking for horn numbers late in the throw if it get's up to say 10 throws..whereupon I'll turn everything off. Yeah..totally conservative. Or you could call it fearful. Summing up..I pay
attention to the first two to three numbers thrown by a random roller. Of course the RR could go on from a CO4,2,12..to shoot a ton.

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:00 am

Here's a twist. Do you start out YOUR OWN HANDS differently than you do when betting on Randy? If so, WHY?
- Heavy

acpa

Post by acpa » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:10 am

Yes, I start out my own hands differently.

Why, because I have enough rolls to know that I statistically roll less that 6 sevens out of 36 rolls.

Noah

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:13 am

Sooooooo, how do you bet your hands versus Randy's hands? Examples?
- Heavy

acpa

Post by acpa » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:52 am

I'm a do side player so I don't bet on a randie unless he has either a first throw come out winner, or has thrown the same number twice inside of 4 throws. If none of those happen I will probably have a come bet on his fifth throw

On myself I bet at least double odds and place the six/right for $12 or $18 each. Bet 5/9 for table minimum if I have throw it twice within four rolls.

Regress six/eight t0 $12 each after I have recovered what I have on the table. Then press hits to $18 $30, $42, $54, $60. 90.

Noah

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:33 pm

LOL. You stopped at $90, Noah. From there you just press to $180. Then you just add zeros. $300, $420, $540, $600, $900, $1800, $3000, $5400, $6000, $9000 (or table max). When you get to table max I'll already be there waiting on you.
- Heavy

acpa

Post by acpa » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Heavy,

I usually don't get over the $90 but your press schedule is appropriate. I've never got to the upper end but was into your schedule on the 8 when I had the 56 roll this time. Ought to find my 70+ roll file, I can't remember for sure but think it was 72, in Tunica a long time ago and see how far the press went.

Noah

stratocasterman

Post by stratocasterman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:32 am

I'd have to say on the RARE occasion that I do bet a RR, I just utilize a minimum bet SIA "One Hit Can't Miss" (OHCM) and go from there. If RR hits a 6 or 8 immediately, I will stay up for a second hit or 4 total rolls and down, whichever comes first.

Myself on the $6 tables here...$6 PL w/$44 inside, WOTCO. I use the 6/5 - 5/4 and or 3V set and focus on the inside only.

Set an inside point and take it down (up on three inside numbers and PL only). Get the next hit, $12 or $10 to PL odds. At this point I'm back up to $44 + PL bet with just $16 + PL at risk. Take the third hit, $2 + PL at risk. I generally just shoot it out from there with no pressing. I'll either hit my point or SO within the next three rolls so I just rack the hits. If I get to roll seven, I usually regress to table minimum of $18 inside + PL w/$6 odds.
What Heavy said...
"Get in, get up, get gone"

mrmidi

Post by mrmidi » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:07 am

First I watch table trend. If cold or choppy, I play a $25 don't pass, and a $2 yo for protection. If a point is hit, I place $12 on 6 and 8. If they hit twice, I take them down and wait for a decision. If a SO happens before the 6 or 8 hit, I only lost
$1. If a 7 knocks off my don't on the CO, I'll replace it once. If it happens again, I'll wait it out and not bet any more on the don't. If table is warm, I only place 6 and 8. If they hit twice, I collect to be even and leave them up.
Next hits, I'll spread out to whatever numbers are rolling.
When I'm shooting, my 2 finger overhand flys like glue and BT says I do very well with the 2V with an SRR around 9. I'm especially looking for 4 and 10 because they pay double.
Sig numbers are outside with lots of 4'a and 10's. So once I play minimum pass line only to find sweet spot, I use an ISR like $50 on 4,5 9 and 10 (buying the 4 and 10).
After 1 hit, I pull down to $10 each and press from there. If a 5 or 9 hit, I toss in $1 and press to $25.

DanF

Post by DanF » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:14 pm

I've been on a cold stretch for a while, and what I can tell you is, anybody has bad days. don't go in with a plan and not react to what the table gives you...or they will take your money in an instant.

Randy or not, anyone can have a good and bad hand...dice controllers do good for a while then balance hits them in the head somedays. Don't expect a perfect result 'cuz the throw looks good...it'll happen, but not everytime and not everyday.

If a randy tends to be badlucked, wait 1-2 throw after point is made before you drop a penny. They won't hurt your rating...wait for your spot, wait for your lucky guy who's having a blast playing and is doing the good stuff.

Never expect a hand to go on forever. 7's going to come, collect those presses and rebuild more aggressively. taking 150$ off the table and rebuilding will give you more profits overtime.

Don't regress twice tho! hands length won't go forever, if you feel like you want to regress again, take down your bets and wait it out.

I found out lately playing 4&10 @15$ and 6&8 @24$ is the best start possible. it pays 27/28 for first hit, cost 24$ to press 1unit+buys, and collect 35&40 2nd & 3rd hit. Gets you 78$ invested, pays 98-108$ for 3 hits, cover 10/36 combination of the dice, inside is less cost effective. You get to have 5 chance ish with 500$. Then you regress your bets to a 12$ 6&8 or something you can easily press back up. Lock up the profits, you lose 3 in a row? get outta there.

You do not want to see every hand doing so. But when the luck is right, make it pay!

Sockeye

Post by Sockeye » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Can somebody recap the SIA one hit method? I missed it.

stratocasterman

Post by stratocasterman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:09 pm

Sockeye wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:48 pm Can somebody recap the SIA one hit method? I missed it.
Sockeye...This is the SIA "OHCM" Revisited thread
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5014&p=68390&hilit=sia+ohcm#p68390

DanF's even Place numbers strategy above with a 2V set is a very good one as well but, a bit more $s at risk to start. I played a conservative scaled down version yesterday with a few passes and doubled my buy in one hand. Thanks DanF, works well if you can toss the 2V set well, which is one of my best!
What Heavy said...
"Get in, get up, get gone"

pappyvanwinkle

Post by pappyvanwinkle » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:20 pm

I'll bet more on myself initially since I am a known quantity. I still would not go overboard since there is still an unknown quantity, the table, the dice, position etc. How are the dice reacting on this table now? Can I get dialed in?

Pappy
Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time

SHOOTITALL

Post by SHOOTITALL » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:27 pm

This is located in many thread for the last 2-3 years or more, can't remember but here are two with good Q & A and stuff:
Thanks Strat for helping out. Ole Heavy is in S/B so in sort of indisposed right now.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=261&p=58039#p58039
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4322&p=58635#p58635
Your craps plan? The dice gods laughed.