Aussie William -AKA- AW

The forum name says it all. You're new to the game of craps and don't have a clue where to begin. Pass Line. Don't Pass. Come. Don't Come. Hardways. Big Six. Big Eight. The Horn. Good Grief! Sounds like back when you were trying to make a decision about what to do in the back seat on that first car date. Well never fear! There are a few folks around here who have spent enough time at the tables to be able to answer just about any question you may have. So step right up and get a clue!

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

Aussie William

Aussie William -AKA- AW

Post by Aussie William » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:05 am

hello joined today, HH got me a spot thanks mate,
i have like most newbies i guess major struggle with consistency.
i can roll 15-20 befor 7 out or 2-3 only
what i am noticing is that my delivery is all over the place.
any tips on
1 checking my grip, i like a 3 finger grip
2 checking my angle of delivery , how do i figure out if its anywhere near 45 Degrees
3 why my dice seem to hit and split 50% of the time?
4 i know dice is a game of random, but is it possible to achive a better end result.

Irukanji

Re: Aussie William -AKA- AW

Post by Irukanji » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:01 am

Hello and welcome! What I did to get a 45 degree angle was use a protractor on my landing spot and run an imaginary 45 degree line back towards the shooting spot. I then put up an obstacle about two feet or so from the landing spot whose top was roughly at the 45 degree height behind the landing spot and started lobbing the dice over it to get the 'feel' of coming in at the proper angle.

But as you gain more experience, you will learn that different table bounces will require different angles of approach. So keep practicing. Good luck!
Previous results are not indicative of future performance.

220Inside

Post by 220Inside » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:50 am

Welcome AW!

My first thought is that you're trying to perfect too much at once. All of those things can be corrected, but if you try to tackle them all at once, you'll quickly become frustrated. One of the first things I focused on in my DI journey was consistency in my landing zone. This part of your toss has very little to do with your grip, dice splitting, etc. It is all in delivery and it takes lots of practice to develop the muscle memory to make the process repeatable with little thought involved.

In terms of your delivery, I've found that making it as simple as possible is where you want to start. Reduce as much motion as you can. You don't describe the actual toss you are using, but do you shoot from the deck or with your hand off of it? What sort of backswing do you have? How about your stance? Feet should be square to the table and your shoulders perpendicular to your target.

Let's start there and see where it goes.

crapsjourney

Post by crapsjourney » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:39 am

Welcome. Nice to meet another craps player from Australia
-- Aaron
Craps Journey podcast for my adventures in craps

DarthNater

Post by DarthNater » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:48 am

AW -
Welcome, how about an update, how's the landing zone targeting doing & are your dice still splitting?

N8
Your lack of faith in The Force disturbs me, Commander.......

wild child

Post by wild child » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:12 pm

A W

Welcome aboard....nice seeing Heavy's A P C board gaining more international presence...

Try laying a dictionary or better yet a 2" x 4" on your layout and tossing over that "obstruction" as a first step..
When your dice consistently touch down and settle in a zone about the size of a playing card ,
you are primed to start working on the "artillery shot aperture "

Some one developed a device that resembled an American Foot Ball goal post
and
if I recall correctly Irish Setter came up with a flower pot with a coat hanger stretched to form a "hoop"
for the dice to travel through en-route to his preferred Landing Zone.......

Dave of San Antonia ( D o S A )
demonstrated tossing into a candy jar to improve the angle of dice in flight to the landing zone..

When you are ready ,the options will come to you.....

Expect this will take some time and effort.....The rewards are worth the journey....

Heavy and the A P C board members are generally available and supportive...

If you have a smart phone and post pictures....it may be easier for others to suggest tweaks....

Just me saying

Wild Child